Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a small (55-65 nm in size), enveloped, positive sense single-stranded RNA virus in the family Flaviviridae and the principal cause of parenteral non-A, non-B hepatitis. The virus genome consists of a single open reading frame of approximately 9,400 bases which encodes a single polyprotein of about 3,010 amino acids (1, 2, 3) . The polyprotein is processed by host cell and viral proteases into four structural proteins (core, envelope1 and 2, and p7) and six non-structural proteins (NS2, 3, 4a, 4b, 5a, and 5b) necessary for viral replication. NS3 serine proteinase is responsible for proteolytic processing of other non-structural proteins.NS4a protein (54 amino acids) forms a complex with NS3 and functions as a cofactor for NS3 protease activity.
- Western blot
- Immunofluorescence staining
Immunogen: A region of NS4 protein (the nucleotide sequence is shown in ref.4) of HCV genotype 1b expressed in E. coli. The epitope of this antibody was mapped to the N-terminal region of the NS4 protein (NS4a).
Conjugate: Biotin conjugated, [biotin] / [IgG] = 11.3
Isotype: Mouse IgG2b kappa
Form: 0.6 mg/ml in PBS, 50% glycerol, filter-sterilized
Specificity: Specific to human HCV NS4a protein of genotype 1b. Not tested in other genotypes.
Storage: Shipped at 4°C and long term storage at -20°C
Swiss-Prot HCV protein
References: This antibody (unconjugated) is produced and used in ref.4.
- Brass V, Moradpour D, Blum HE. Molecular Virology of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV): 2006 Update. Int J Med Sci 2006; 3:29-34 PMID: 16614739
- Kato, N. et al. (1990) “Molecular cloning of the human hepatitis C virus genome from Japanese patients with non-A, non-B hepatitis.” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 9524-9528 PMID: 2175903
- Takamizawa, A. et al. (1991) “Structure and organization of the hepatitis C virus genome isolated from human carriers.” J.Virol.65, 1105-1113 PMID: 1847440
- Manabe, S. et al. (1994) “Production of nonstructural proteins of hepatitis C virus requires a putative viral protease encoded by N3.” Virology 198, 636-644 PMID: 8291245
Fig.1 Western blot of HCV NS4a protein.
Chimp liver cells were infected with recombinant vaccinia virus containing a HCV genome cDNA and were subjected to Western blotting using anti-NS4a antibody. The protein detected with this antibody is 6 kD. This small NS4 protein (NS4a) was produced from the N-terminal region of the NS4 protein.
Fig. 2 Detection of HCV NS4a protein by immuno-fluorescence antibody staining. Chimp liver cells were infected with recombinant vaccinia virus containing a HCV genome cDNA. After incubation for 48 hr, the cells were fixed with acetone and HCV NS4a protein was detected by indirect immunofluorescence staining using this antibody.